Calow Parish Council was first established in the 1860's. Like all town and parish councils it is the first tier of local Government and it represents the local community. The Council comments on local planning issues and is involved in the delivery and management of various amenities.
The council is funded principally by an annual precept (received in 2 installments in April and September) which is collected by North East District Council (NEDDC) as part of the normal Council Tax. Other income is received from the hire of recreational facilities.
The Council is supported by a parish clerk. Three part time members of staff: the clerk, handyman and litter picker are the only positions which are paid a salary. Council Members themselves are elected for a total of four years and are unpaid.
Councilors represent the Parish at various meetings with NEDDC and other groups and organisations and they can meet with other parishes to discuss matters of mutual interest.
Over the years Calow Parish Council has awarded small grants to assist organisations who are providing benefit to the community of Calow. Organisations within the Parish are welcome to make an application which will be considered on its own merits.