Eastwood Park - Top Road, Calow
A green space for our community
- 1919 Alderman Eastwood gives 3 acres of land at a cost of £250 to provide a recreation ground in remembrance of the 25 servicemen of the parish killed during the First World War.
- 1921 a sandstone War Memorial, now a grade II listed monument, is installed and a bronze plaque listed the names of the fallen. Later, a further plaque is added listing the 10 soldiers who died in World War Two.
- 1960s playground equipment including swings, a “spider’s web” a see-saw etc. are located on the left hand side of the park near the “Little Houses”.
- 2012 the Olympic Torch passes through Calow; schoolchildren and adults, assembled in the park, wave flags and cheer it on.
- 2013 members of 1st Calow (St. Peter's) Scout Group plant a tree, near the war memorial, to mark their 80th Anniversary year and the centenary of the last year of peace before the outbreak of The Great War.
- 2014 to mark the centenary of the start of The Great War, Calow Parish Council plants 25 acers, in two rows, on the right side of the park.
- 2017 new play and exercise equipment installed
- 2018 new gates and fencing erected.
- 2019 to mark the centenary of the park, three large planters are filled with perennials, herbs and a white rose named “Peace”. Christmas lights are put on the fence and trees.