Eastwood Park - Top Road, Calow
A green space for our community
- 1919 Alderman Eastwood gives 3 acres of land at a cost of £250 to provide a recreation ground in remembrance of the 25 servicemen of the parish killed during the First World War.
- 1921 a sandstone War Memorial, now a grade II listed monument, is installed and a bronze plaque listed the names of the fallen. Later, a further plaque is added listing the 10 soldiers who died in World War Two.
- 1960s playground equipment including swings, a “spider’s web” a see-saw etc. are located on the left hand side of the park near the “Little Houses”.
- 2012 the Olympic Torch passes through Calow; schoolchildren and adults, assembled in the park, wave flags and cheer it on.
- 2013 members of 1st Calow (St. Peter's) Scout Group plant a tree, near the war memorial, to mark their 80th Anniversary year and the centenary of the last year of peace before the outbreak of The Great War.
- 2014 to mark the centenary of the start of The Great War, Calow Parish Council plants 25 acers, in two rows, on the right side of the park. Click here for more information.
- 2017 new play and exercise equipment installed
- 2018 new gates and fencing erected.
- 2019 to mark the centenary of the park, three planters are installed and filled with plants. In November 420 native species trees planted on the recreation ground. Christmas lights are put on the fence and trees in the park and Calow in Lights is launched.