Welcome to the Calow Parish Council Website
The village was first mentioned in Domesday book (1086) when it was known as Kalehal (bare corner of land). In 1430 it was known as Calell, then Calo in 1561 before acquiring its present name. Coal was mined in the area and supplied furnaces in nearby Duckmanton. Prior to World War Two the village consisted mainly of just of Top Road and part of Church Lane. Later there was a thriving garden nursery, Proctors, who moved several miles to Holymoorside on the other side of Chesterfield. Subsequently a large number of houses were built in the 1950s and 60s.
The village comes under the district council of North-East Derbyshire and has a current population of approx 2500. It is well served by being close to the large market town of Chesterfield. In the village there are a number of small businesses including a chemist, various shops, and a hairdressers.
Calow C of E Primary School, on North Road, is located next to the Community Centre on Allpits Road (where the council meetings are held). Calow & Brimington Surgery is on Rose Avenue and the chemist is on Church Lane. The village currently has two pubs, The White Hart on Top Road and The Anvil on Blacksmith Lane.